When: May 9, 2014 – 11:30am – 5PM – Registration starts at 11am, walk in registrations accepted all day!!! Drop by!
Where:Security BSides Boston – Microsoft NERD Center in Cambridge, MA
Who: Open to all registered BSides Attendees/Participants
What: This will be a Jeopardy style Capture the Flag event with challenges in various categories related to information security. We have designers working on some great challenges, some very traditionally cool and others very outside the box. We’ve got some prizes in the works as well
DRAFT Rules/Guidelines (Subject to Modification):
- Don’t be a jerk
- This event will be open to teams from 1-3 players each, on site. (realistically we cannot restrict team sizes but the event will be geared to small teams or individuals)
- Attacking, touching, modifying the game hosting infrastructure or scoring system will result in immediate disqualification. Attacking any system or network not specifically designated as a CTF challenge is not endorsed or recommended. We will cooperate fully with those investigating these types of activities.
- Prizes will be awarded to the highest scoring participants as determined by the organizers in the following manner. The first team that completes all challenges will be determined to have “won”, subsequent finishers of all challenges will place 2nd, 3rd etc. If no team completes all challenges final standings will be determined by score at the end of the competition. Ties will be broken by the higher standing being awarded to the team that achieved the score first.
- Teams can get credit for a maximum of two challenges for which team members submitted content. This is to benefit those who submitted but not to create an unfair advantage.
- To get credit for a challenge you have submitted (and solved) another opposing team or player must have solved and scored on that challenge PRIOR to you or your team receiving points.
- Please bring per team: a power strip, enough shorter (~5′) ethernet cables for your team. The following would “not be a bad idea”: small 10/100 switch, extension cord. The competition will involve both on site and “cloud” infrastructure for challenges. Be prepared and able to connect to the conference wireless networks at the NERD center for internet access to access some challenges.
Final registration will be taken at the event. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “BSIDES CTF” to express interest or ask questions (I’d like to get an early estimated count).
Also if you have challenge ideas PLEASE feel free to contact me about submitting them. If they work and they are good it is NEVER too late. Challenges may be released during the competition.